God gave us voices, so we must sing

I've been sitting here staring at my blog trying to figure out what to do... perhaps if I stare long enough the inspiration will jump out of the screen and form itself into one of those well-written, awe-inspiring blog posts. I have all these internal questions that still go unanswered. What do I write about? How do I say it? What does the Lord expect me to do with this blog and what is MY personal purpose as a blogging missionary?

Missionaries all over the world are unified in their purpose; we invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. We all have the same purpose, and we often use the same tools, but we're all a little different too. We all have unique talents and life stories, we're blessed with different personalities that inspire different people. We all have something to offer, we just have to be willing to discover how exactly the Lord wants us to share His message, and then go and do! I'm not here to tell you I'm the best blogger in the history of life, because let's face it... I'm not, but I am here to tell you that I've discovered a God-given talent and He expects me to use it. Just a couple weeks after opening my mission call, I heard the news: the Washington DC North Mission was going to be one of the first few missions to test-drive online proselyting! I had already felt that peaceful confirmation that I was indeed called of God to serve in the exact mission I was meant to be in, but then online proselyting was announced and I had this profound realization... God loves me, He knows me, and He wants to help me help His children.

This blog has been put on the back burner for the past 10 months, but Heavenly Father has reminded me that it's time to use my talents to share His gospel online. The inspiration came to me as I was listening to Sandra Turley perform at the Washington DC Temple Visitors' Center. Sandra has been blessed with this beautiful singing voice that grabs hold of your heart and settles in the soul. She spoke a great deal of God that night, and the love that He has for each and every one of His children. She then talked about this gift we have each been given. A "voice" is what she called the gift, but I knew for me it was more of a metaphorical voice. One that didn't sing, but instead one that wrote. In my heart I knew that this blog was a gift given to me from Heavenly Father and I needed to use it to spread His message of hope and gospel of truth. We're all pretty aware of the things we're good at, but are we using them the way the Lord intended? That's why I'm resurfacing here on this blog, trying to show my Heavenly Father how grateful I am to be His representative, to have this blog, and to live His gospel. Find your talents, talk to God about it, and start actively using them to inspire those around you. Remember the parable of the talents? I so want to have an encounter someday where the Lord sits me down and talks to me about all the talents He blessed me with. I hope to hear him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."  (Matthew 25:21)

Stick around, I plan on being here a little more regularly. I've learned some pretty neat lessons lately, the kind that are worth sharing with the world, even if it's just the online world.