Party in the Nation's Capitol

We definitely had a party in the nation's Capitol on the fourth. We were given a full p-day, woooo! I was lucky enough to spend the entire day with the birthday girl, sister chapman! We went to the metro super early to avoid the crowds, but discovered that the metro didn't open until 7am... Party in McDonald's. We finally made it to the city and then went on a breakfast hunt. We ended up eating at Lincoln's waffle shop - very appropriate for the fourth. It was one of those random little places that you would never choose based on looks, but the place was hoppin and we even made some friends while there! We walked around for the majority of our day. Large groups of sisters = a major lack of solid plans and decisions. That's when I really started to miss home. But The Lord blessed me with a little piece of home and lots of love from strangers. We felt like celebs with all the "hi, sisters!" and excited waves. Yay for lots of members saying hi and making me feel loved. We also had a random run in with two boys I knew
from the U (boo and tanner, Bryn!).

We watched like 2 minutes of the parade because we were melting in the sun and it wasn't that exciting. I mean, I watched it from some random guys iPad because I couldn't see anything (short girl problems). The original plan was that we had shift at the VC that night - we were pretty bitter about it, which is stupid really, because we're missionaries for heavens sake! That's what we're here to do! Teach the gospel! I feel bad about it now, but in the moment I was really bummed that all the other missionaries would be in the city for fireworks while we were at the likely empty VC, sitting on the bench. We wend to Georgetown (my fave) and had pizza and cupcakes before heading back for shift.

As soon as we got off the metro we were informed that plans had changed and they were giving us the night off just like all the other missionaries. Birthday miracle for sister chapman! We were so pumped and so grateful. We had just gotten off the metro so we decided to hang out for a bit before going back to the city. We shopped at h&m (new skirt!), took quick showers, and then headed back for FIREWORKS IN THE CITY!!!!! Shortest but best firework show ever. It was sooooo good. I had an identity crisis because there was "worldly" music being sung by a choir and also playing during the firework show so it was weird because I wanted to just dance and sing along but I'm a missionary so I didn't know what to do. We met these adorable RM sisters, one served in Manchester I think and the other was a salt lake VC sister! They were the cutest and ended up chatting with us for
awhile. They then brought their kids over and gave us all glow sticks.

Our curfew that night was extended to 10:30pm. We figured we would leave just before the fireworks ended to make it home on time. Little did we know, the firework show was suuuuper short. All of a sudden it was over and we has to book it to the metro station. Needless to say, the crowds were CRAZY and we were late getting in. Pretty much every missionary in the mission was late. President Cooke was disappointed and I feel awful about it. I never wanted to be a missionary who disappointed the mission president.

As I reflect on my day, I regret not taking in the moment more and finding the joy in the little things like I often do in life. I
should've been more grateful and more excited, I should've tried harder to not miss home. I was in the nation's Capitol for the Fourth of July!! What a blessing it is to be living in this country. We have the restored gospel because of the founding fathers and the freedoms we enjoy here.