the wonderful "here's what happened" series

There were a bunch of youth tours this week at the VC. I had her another awkward moment, because that's what missionaries do – walk around looking for ways to be awkward. This time we were getting the youth grouped off to do some role plays and I mistook a leader for a youth. He was offended, and I tried to pull the "oh, it's okay people think I'm 12 all the time" but he didn't care. What's worse is he's probably my age and definitely super cute, but whatevs. I'll never see him again and I got him to help with role plays, so I guess I win? The group i latched onto was super awesome and totally went with things when i suggested we do something different and role play as if we were on Facebook. Gotta keep things current you know? It turned out really well and one kid in the group totally blew me away with his ability to just teach all of lesson one on the spot! Man, these youth are going to be such good missionaries someday!

this week was like a wonderful "here's what happened" series. i once wrote home about a guy who walked into the VC having a super rough day. i ended up playing the christus for him and i think i remember describing the situation like word vomit. that's what i did. i just kept saying all this stuff and then he just cried and said thank you. i knew that i had said what he needed to hear and that i had fulfilled my purpose as a visitors center missionary. well, i walk out of a meeting on sunday and there he is at church!! i didn't recognize him at first, i knew i had meet him before, but i had attached another situation to the face and though it was someone else. when it finally donned on me who he was i got sooo excited! we both realized where we had met and he again thanked me for helping him out that day. he was really struggling, and i got to do and say as the Lord would have. what a privilege!

we had a miracle walk right into church this week. she had walked in after our three hour service, and sat down. some members started talking to her and before i knew it we were getting her name, number, and making an appointment for this thursday! she was just looking for a church that talked about christ and when she found us she walked right in! her name is fari, we think she's originally from somewhere in the middle east, but she moved to DC from california. we are excited to teach her and get to know her more this week! MIRACLES!!

Gratitude and rainbows:

We had the BEST sacrament meeting ever on Sunday. Brother Thomas compiled letters from his two sons who are currently serving missions and it was like this big, huge hellloooo sister Rowley, this is what you need to change!! He titled the talk, gratitude and rainbows (rainbows being tender mercies) and focused on how gratitude leads to happiness. He used the scripture "men are that they might have joy" emphasizing the word might. It's up to us! We have to constantly seek after joy in our lives, and not just as missionaries. The most joy in life can be found in following The Lord. There really is no better way to find this joy. The stories he shared from his sons were just everything I needed to hear. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who
has a hard time being Christlike or struggles with constant happiness as a missionary, but these elders have had experiences just like me! e're all learning how to be better sons and daughters of God, and reality check sister Rowley... it takes time!

A question was posed - what was the happiest day of your life? It took no more than a few seconds for me to come up with my answer. Add guess what... Just like brother Thomas' son, it was a day I was serving the Lord as a full time missionary. It was the day I taught Sandy Stallsworth in kentlands. I know she hasn't been meeting with missionaries since that one night we put her on date, so even though she isn't progressing right now, that was the best night of my entire life. I have honestly never been happier. The spirit was so strong and I knew she was feeling Heavenly Father's love for her. I pray that she'll find the missionaries again and really take the time to learn more about the gospel. I also think of Mary Ellen and Rick anytime I think of my happiest moments. I am so grateful that The Lord has blessed me with some of the most amazing people and amazing experiences.

here's to another week of serving the Lord and my attempt to be more grateful and look for more rainbows. love you all so much and miss you too!

love, sister rowley