sometimes missionaries need to be strengthened too

The 20 minute dinner miracle: So we had a day at the VC and then planned to go home for our hour of dinner because let's face it, as much as I love the VC sometimes you just need to get the heck out of there. We start driving and then we hit the 5 o'clock traffic. We're supposed to be out in our area by 6pm and we're watching our dinner time click right on by. So we decide to skip the trip back home, park at the church where we needed to park for the night, and eat at a quick little restaurant at the mall. It's called lunchbox (I may have written home about it before - a member took us there once). Good sandwiches, fun look, cool vibe, and usually kylee music. Anyways, it's pretty new so not many people know about it and it's been pretty empty when I've gone. We order our meal, everything is going great, we're somehow making it work despite the fact that we only have 20 minutes to eat and then we get hit with one awesome blessing: FREE ICE CREAM! The guys working were super nice and gave us free ice cream so they could test out the new machine. Wasn't my favorite, but it was free ice cream so I'm not complaining. They gave us free treats, we gave them invitations to the visitors center, plus we still made it out at 6pm so it was just a miracle dinner that then lead to that super awesome first lesson with Carol. That night was such a solid one for us, someone I reallllly needed. I was starting to feel really overwhelmed with the many things to do and the vey little time to do it. It really is true that missionaries are happiest when they're teaching which means talking with everyone. I handed out a BOM on the street that night and became friends with a cute Jewish girl from Paris. I forgot entirely about the stress I had preciously felt and I knew that God was proud and pleased with my efforts. I can't do everything all at once, I can only try my best and that night I felt like I did my best.

I had a cool experience in the VC this week where I was inspired on the spot to be creative with some kids at the Christus. We had played the Christus for them and then afterwards I asked them to close their eyes and hold out their hands. We had grabbed pictures of Christ from behind the desk and placed them in their hands. I told them to keep their eyes closed, but that I had placed a picture of Christ in their hands. "Do you believe me?" I said. They replied yes. And we talked about how they felt the picture and believed what I told them, but they couldn't physically see Him. They opened their eyes and there He was! How often do we close our eyes to the savior and ignore His presence? Do we believe that He's there even if we don't see him? Do we believe He's there even in those dark moments where we don't feel Him? We had lunch with Perla this week, she is the girl who gave that amaaaazing talk about the ballet shoes and Lazarus being raised from the dead. Remember that? I know for sure I sent that home. It was powerful. That meal with perla was exactly what I needed this week. We talked about that again - that concept of Christ leaving us in the dark sometimes so that when he does lift us out it's undeniable that it was a miracle and only possible through Him. The food we had with her was amazing and I just left feeling so rejuvenated. She had served a mission as well, and it was one of those dinner experiences that ends up being way more for you than the members or the missionary work in the area. Sometimes missionaries need to be strengthened too.

I have officially been a missionary for one year and four days!! Woooo! We didn't do anything special, but I did wear the exact same outfit I wore to the MTC (plus tights, because it's almost fall here and I'm jumping the gun because tights are the best!). I've ordered a few other nametags since getting here to DC, so my greenie nametag has been sitting on the dresser for quite some time. I decided to pull it out for my year mark. Seemed appropriate to wear it on September 25th. Sister Wathen had a rough day this week, and I think she thinks I'm helping her, but sometimes I feel like I'm sitting there freaking out because I totally remember being a new missionary and feeling every single awful emotion all at once but I don't know what to do when others experience it! I just want her to be happy and know that she is an amazing missionary, she seriously blows my mind every day with how good she is. We didn't finish weekly planning and instead spent the time talking through some things for her. Months ago I would've been stressing about not finishing, but I'm learning that sometimes missionary work has to take a backseat to the happiness and emotional state of your companion, especially a new missionary. It doesn't mean we stop being missionaries all together, but I saw how important it was to take a break and finish another time. Which ended up not happening, but you know what? That's what Christ would've done. He wouldn't have forced sister Wathen to keep planning because that's what we were supposed to be doing, he would've sat there listened, encouraged, and uplifted. Sister Wathen and I are a lot alike so I decided that to help her feel better we could get good stuff eatery the next day. Cheeseburgers for the win. We had a referral to check on in Georgetown, where the good stuff eatery is, so right after the VC we headed up there. And then the bus took way longer than we expected and we ate dinner way later than missionaries are supposed to. I felt guilty for a while, but as the night progressed and we saw so many miracles, I knew that Heavenly Father didn't want me to feel guilty. Now I know how long it takes to bus to Georgetown so we'll plan better next time, but because he knew that was our plan and because he knew it would help both of us feel better, he placed people in our path that night. The bus ride there was insane! Packed! We were riding at rush hour, when we're usually inside eating and we saw miracles because of it! We gave out two copies of the BOM in that bus ride! One in English and one in Spanish. Sister Wathen has been killing it with her Spanish contacts. So many referrals for the elders! And then the atheist/realist/hippie dude sat next to me, so that was fun. So we down our cheeseburgers, fries, and shakes in like 20 minutes - speed eating or not, that place rocks. And then a member of the ward walks in. And not just any ward member, the second counselor's wife. Oh hiiiii, we're just eating cheeseburgers with a bunch of college students on a Friday night past the hour we're supposed to. I gained a testimony of contacting your referrals because when you do, even if they're totally fake or not reachable, you get to meet the elect and experience miracles. That night was a major miracle night, which means God isn't mad we ate at good stuff. He knew it was our plan and he placed people in our path - testimony of nightly planning too. We had a referral to Georgetown university. Like, the school. With no apartment or anything. We love fake referrals :]  It was really fun though, sister Wathen and I quoted Harry Potter and contacted a bunch of people along the way. And then we met two more miracles as we traveled to yet another no good referral. Mrs. Armstrong had seen us earlier on that 5pm bus and then was on the bus we took later that night. That NEVER happens! And she was soooo prepared. Talked to her about family history and the Book of Mormon. I had one left in my bag but didn't want to give it to her, it was just this "don't do it - just send missionaries" feeling. She said yes to missionaries bringing her the Book of Mormon which is waaay better. And then we met David who that BOM was meant for all along. He helped us find the apartment complex we were looking for, we gave him a BOM, got his phone number for the YSA elders and just like that had a night full of so many miracles!!

All I'm going to say about the general women's meeting: TEMPLES TEMPLES TEMPLES! And President Uchtdorf because he's my favorite :]

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

- Sister Rowley