Excerpts from a letter–FIRST VISITOR CENTER LESSON (SOLO)

10/22/13
Last night was my second shift at the visitors center and it was awesome! It was a shorter shift because of PDay. I was reviewing my training binder when a family came in. At first, I was hoping that some other missionary would come over, but I am so grateful that this teaching opportunity was mine.

They are a family of 4 – just like ours, with two daughters – from Ethiopia. The father had briefly been in the visitors center before, but didn’t stay long because he wanted to bring his family. He had seen the temple from the highway and wanted to see what it was. They walked around the temple grounds and then came to the visitors center. They had a few questions about the temple and I tried to answer them to the best of my ability. I taught them about eternal families, promises we make with God, and even baptisms for the dead. They were with me for pretty much the entire night.

I showed them the “God’s Plan” video and we again talked about eternal families and creating families and homes on a foundation of Christ. They loved the video! I taught them about the prophets (Joseph Smith & modern day prophets) and about the restoration and the Book of Mormon. They are orthodox and very faithful to Christ. We looked at paintings of Christ and even the Christus. They were so knowledgeable and after I would teach something, they would say “true! that’s true!” I was so inspired by their commitment to Christ and their obvious love for Him and for each other.

Things just got great towards the end of the night. We were able to find a Book of Mormon in their language! They wanted one, but not in English. They were so excited! I committed them to read the introduction as a family by Saturday. I will then call them Saturday and talk with them about it. I pray that they fill the spirit and come to know the Book of Mormon the way they do the Bible.

I stumbled over my words and didn’t always know what I was doing, but I tried. I stepped forward with faith, knowing that the Lord would prevent me from saying anything stupid or wrong. I’m learning that the Holy ghost is always there, but sometimes in a way I didn’t expect. Sometimes he helps me teach by knowing what to say and where to go, but more often I’m seeing that the Holy Ghost works as a filter. I open my mouth in faith, praying that something, anything I say, will touch the hearts of those I teach. Then the Holy Ghost filters the things I say in a way that allows the investigator to hear and feel exactly what the Lord wants them to. I can’t wait to see what happens with this amazing family and I know that even if they don’t accept the gospel now, I was the one who helped plant that seed. ME!… the sister missionary who just got here and has no idea what she is doing. My very first visitors center lesson! WHAT A BLESSING!